How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Our first day off

Today was our first day off. Class was cancelled and Dr. Stockley couldn't visit us, so we were given the day to ourselves. I slept until 10 which felt amazing. This morning I was feeling sad when I went online and saw some of my friends pages and got some messages and emails. I talked to mom last night and she said the hard thing is that if I talk to my friends every day, I am also saying goodbye to them every day. I burst into tears while eating breakfast. I don't want to be sad and homesick, I really do put it out of my mind most of the time, but there are people I really wish I could see and hug.

We were given some money to go find something for lunch in town. Nine of us went down the street to this Ethiopian restaurant. We ordered three dishes to share and some drinks. The food was served on trays. The tray was covered first with a thin spongy bread and then on top of that were the bowls of sauce. We were instructed by our friendly waited to pour the sauces on the bread and then eat little pieces of it. It was an interesting experience. I didn't like the taste of it, but yeah.... it was interesting. Not to mention my stomach has been acting up since I got here so hopefully I wont feel sick later. our entire meal for nine of us came to about 50,000UGsh which is around $25.

We walked down the street and ended up going down an alleyway into a more residential area. THe houses are little shacks and there is trash and the smell of urine everywhere. Some men kept shouting at us from their motorcycles, "My sister! My friend! Come let me take you where you are going!". We obviously said no, but I really wouldn't have minded a quick lift up the hill. It go really hot out. The thunder from this morning didn't produce any of the rain we hoped for. We loked in a few shops. I want to buy myself some carved african animal figurines. Maybe tomorrow at "Friday Market" where all the artisans bring their stuff.

We got back from our walk and are now doing some homework for tomorrow. I sat on the edge of the bath tub and scrubbed my feet. I really hope my blisters dont get infected because some of them are really bad, and the roads are so dusty and dirty. Last night I realized that my bag of bandaides got spilled on and they were all ruined. So today I bought some new ones for 9,000UGsh. A little pricey for bandaids but I need them. Here is a picture of my bright ruby bandaids. You cant see them all. I feel like Dorothy with her ruby slippers... if I click my heels will I get to visit home?

1 comment:

  1. hey hun :)
    I was just reading your blog & i just want to give you a huuuuge hug! i love you soo much kendall! you really can do this...you are wayy stronger than i am ;)

    When i was reading this, i remembered one of my favorite Scripture passages. Its from Lamentations 3 and its all about hope and the Lord's compassion. The really cool thing is where it's located in the book: Basically Jeremiah was in despair because of the destruction of Jerusalem so the whole thing is pretty much him responding to that, crying out to God in grief. But sort of hidden in chapter 3 is this little passage:

    "Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself,
    'The Lord is my portion;therefore I will wait for him.' The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

    I just love that part :) i have it on my wall here because there are so many times that i just want to be back in my comfortable life at Messiah but i know there is a bigger purpose for all of us to be where we are. Its totally okay to be homesick, (i am all the time too) but when you're sad, just remember that the same God that's watching over your family is sitting right next to you :)
    I know that was a long comment lol but i just felt the need to share that with you :) i love you & i'll be praying for you all the time! <3

    ReplyDelete