How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Have you been thankful today?

Were you thankful today?
Do this for me:

Go to you kitchen and turn on the light. Did it turn on? Walk past your fully stocked refrigerator to the cupboard or dishwasher and get yourself a cup. Now turn on the faucet and fill it up. Does clean water come out and fill your cup? Would you be able to drink this water and not get sick? If your answer is Yes to any of these questions you have a reason to be thankful. I am realizing while living in Uganda how much I take for granted the most essential and important things that we have in the "economic north".

How amazing is it that we don't have to buy filtered water. EVERY sink or spout in our house would produce clean and filtered water. Taking a shower? Isn't it nice to know that if you get some of that water in your mouth you wont end up with a parasite or diarrhea? Really though, think about how awesome it is that any place in our houses where we can turn on water, we can feel safe drinking from it. Of course that water is rarely good enough for us so we go out and buy bottled water because it tastes better. It is such an adjustment to not be able to drink the water here. I have to keep my mouth shut tight when I am showering, use hand sanitizer after washing my hands it I will be eating with my fingers, and walk downstairs to get water from the filter for brushing my teeth (so far I haven't messed up and contaminated my brush). I wonder if I will cry when I get home and don't have to stress about getting a parasite. I don't say any of this because I want anyone to feel bad for me, or feel guilty about how much they have. I just realize that I am so lucky even at this guest house to have a bottle of filtered water, whereas many of the locals do have to use dirty water and risk sickness every day. We have SO MUCH to feel lucky about.

No comments:

Post a Comment