How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

7 days!

After a very difficult and emotional start to the new year, I am trying to bring back my excitement about the spring semester. Looks like I wont be juggling a long distance relationship anymore, so I am trying to at least be thankful for that. Being dumped, especially when it was so unexpected, left me reeling. So now I am in recovery mode, because I don't want this to affect my excitement about studying abroad, or make it harder for me to adjust in Uganda. Prayers for healing and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to think of the positives, so I'm telling myself how good it will be for me that I wont be emotionally as attached to the US and trying to live in two places at once to keep up a relationship. I'll be missing my family and friends, but I know that they wont be going anywhere.

So on that note I would like to celebrate the fact that in 7 DAYS.. ONE WEEK.. I will be on my way to Orientation!!

Yesterday I went shopping for some more of the things I need. We have been confused about DEET. The packing list said 100% deet is a necessity for bug spray, the travel nurse said that is way too dangerous, the guy at EMS sports said 100% if I don't want malaria, my GoEd contact said that is way too much. so... I guess I will bring both 100% and something a bit more normal. I also got a raincoat that was way too expensive, so I hope that the rainy season really puts it to use. It's hard to figure out what to bring. I have a pair of shoes for every occasion but very limited space. How to choose between hiking boots, tennis shoes, flip flops, dress shoes, dress sandals..etc. They all were on the list.. but I do need to be able to carry these bags.

All of my stuff is laid out on the guest room bed so that I can start packing. I really need to get going on my pre-departure homework assignments as well!! I can do it!

Step 1: [insert positive attitude here]
Step 2: get up and do it!

Okay I'll be writing more soon! Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Kendall,

    My advice about the shoes (hehehe!): Bring a pair of brown, black, and white dress sandals. If you don't have room for brown then don't bring them. Bring a few pairs of flip flops, but if you don't want your feet to get dirty sandals with a small platform are better.

    I hear ya about the positive attitude stuff. I've got 6 million details to deal with for my program and 3/4 of a book to read PLUS only 4 1/4 more days with my family and 6 days left in Ghana with no idea of when I'll ever get to come back :( Do you sense the stress? Just a little ;) hehe!

    You're amazing, Kendall. And you're doing fabulous!

    Sari

    ReplyDelete