How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Friday, January 22, 2010

A cooler day in Uganda

Last night it finally rained. I woke up to flashes of lightening and booms of thunder. Standing at the glass door to our porch I couldn't even see the rain but I could tell it was falling in sheets. I went back to bed and continued sleeping. We got up around 10 because our first class was cancelled. It was a nice and relaxing morning and then I was lucky enough to be near Kate when she offered four of us a car ride, and therefore didn't have to walk up the hill this morning with my sad blistered feet.

In class we had discussions about the books we have been reading. It was interesting. Our group has a lot of strong personalities. Everyone seems in the mood to discuss/argue. I can totally appreciate it but at a certain point I get irritated by having personal opinions shut down. I think that something about the heat and living with people 24/7 has started to make us get a little grouchy and irritated with each other. I will admit that I have to stop myself sometimes from saying things to the people that are frustrating me. I think these are just the challenges of living with people.

The walk home was a lot easier today. We came back and all relaxed for a while before dinner. We had yummy fish and cookies. Now everyone is talking about going to the Savannah club tonight. A group has been going every night, but I haven't been there yet. I have a feeling that Friday nights are gonna be pretty crazy and fun. I'm excited. Then I think Susan, Emily and I are going to have an American movie night and try to feel a bit more at home. I am starting to feel more comfortable here which is great. I really want to be able to let go of saddness and embrace this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment