How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

First nights sleep

Just woke up from my first night's sleep in Africa. It was warm and humid so I woke up feeling sticky and my skin looks all dewy and gross. haha I guess dewy will be the new style here. The water has been going off an on, so I wasn't surprised this morning when on of the girls yelled from the bathroom that she was in there covered in soap with no water. I went downstairs and got kind of lost, walking into our guestkeepers' quarters, and accidentally into a bathroom full of our naked African cooks.. being a very modest person, I quickly apologized and ran out, tho they didn't seem embarrassed. One of our housekeepers was moping in the dining room and I asked her if there would be water and she said if there wasn't any, probably not. So I went back up to the bathroom to tell my friend. I tested the sink and there WAS water, my friend I guess just didn't realize that you had to push the handle up - haha :) something I would do. To her credit, turning the handle to the side had yielded a bit of water in the first place. My only concern here is that some of our group may not realize yet that we need to conserve water. We are not in America where you can take 30min showers. Here we need to be very conscious of using as little as possible. That means turn the water on to get wet, turn it off while you later up, then turn it on to rise. If it's not immediately hot, don't leave it running for 5 minutes!!!! I might have a cow!

When I first laid down in bed last night it was hard to sleep, tho I was exhausted. My blankets and sheets are clean but they have that smell of things that are dried on a clothesline in a humid country - kind of moldy .. I'm sure all of my clothes will be smelling this way soon so I need to get used to it. I also get paranoid in beds that I don't know about bugs. We already saw a big spider yesterday and I didn't want on in my bed with me! The bunk bed sways when Emily gets in the top bunk so hopefully it all stays in one piece (and I do too!). the fan in here didn't do anything, the mosquito netting wouldn't let it through. I woke up around 5am thinking it was time to get up and then went back to sleep. My times are all off. Now I am waiting for the other girls to get clean so I can take my quick shower. I can't wait to see what we are eating today. I also hope that don't have us traveling anywhere, I just want to stay in one place please!

I miss people at home. Last night I was up late talking to my favorite Messiah guys and gals. sometimes I get a little sad thinking about them. I will try to be on skype to talk to mom and dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment