How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

In Africa!!!!!!! - and completely overwhelmed

Hello from Uganda!!

We just pulled into the FH compound about 45 minutes ago and then we all took out our laptops and wrote home.

Our trip: We left Friday night from Phoenix and took a very long flight to London. I tried really hard to sleep but I was sitting next to an adorable little boy who kept waking me up...not so adorable after a while.. British Airways is really nice. We had TVs on the back of the seats in front of us and so I watched a few movies and slept. I was that one person who was paranoid of getting a blood clot because, and so i was always up stretching in the aisles. How is it fair that first class got beds??? We got to London around 2pm their time and spent 2 hours finding the right bus to get to the hotel. We went out to this wonderful restaurant for dinner and then I went to bed. We woke up about an hour later to our leader, Kate, asking what time it was. We all freaked out for a minute but then found out it was still night. This morning we met at 6:30 and had another long wait for the correct bus. The airport was stressful as always. Then we had our second 9hr flight to Entebbe. I watched a few movies and then read my last book for class. It was crazy seeing the moving map with our plane above the continent of AFRICA!!

When we landed we went through customs but it was really relaxed. Our leader took all of our passports and visa applications and got those approved while we all got our luggage.. I was surprised that they let that happen. We all loaded everything onto our hired bus and drove an hour to the guest house. It reminded me of Haiti a bit, but a little nicer. Of course it was the middle of the night and there also weren't many people out on the streets. We pulled into FH and we have a gorgeous guest house. I am in a room upstairs with 7 other girls. We all got a basket gift with some information, a piece of candy and our new cell phones inside. I quickly claimed my bottom bunk and came down to the dining room to email home.

Right now I am feeling extremely overwhelmed. I am tired, hungry, relived, sad (after looking at Facebook at all of my friends), a little homesick, but very excited. It makes for a strange feeling that is confusing. Hopefully after some sleep I will feel more refreshed and secure.
More later! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment