How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Monday, January 18, 2010

First day in Uganda

For breakfast we were all excited because there was Nutella!! We gathered around the table and met the staff and listened to the rules. Grace, the program director, told us that GoEd is not continuing past this semester!!:(:( Apparently FH really wants to spend its money on aid and relief, not on educating.. I guess I understand. I feel bad for everyone who has put lots of time into starting these programs. They assured us that they want to go out with a bang. Our SLC (student life coordinator), Kate, said that all of us "smiley" girls need to know that we can say "no" and be firm when we are hit on (which is going to happen often apparently). She said we need to be able to be rude if we have to. Then she said "Yes Kendall, I'm talking to you right now". haha. Seems like I have a reputation for being too nice here already. :)

We all put our money and passports in the safe, learned how to use our new cell phones, and then got some money to exchange into Uganda shillings. We walked down to the Western Union Bank. At first I thought the weather was perfect, but after a 20minute walk in the blazing sun I was sweating bullets. The exchange rate is about 1900 shillings to a dollar. I feel very right walking around with 100000 bills. We had an excellent lunch and then went on an even longer walk to the recreation center which is where our classes will be held. It was a long, up-hill walk to get there. I really never get exercise these days so I am a bit worried about myself. It takes a half hour in the blazing sun and we will be doing that walk in the morning, back for lunch, to our afternoon class, and then back again. Classes at Messiah really spoiled me because it never took me longer than 5-7min to get to class. The cool thing is that the rec center is letting us swim in their outdoor pool on the days we have classes. Today we swam and it felt wonderful, but then I was completely wiped out and realized I still had to walk back. We stopped at a Gelateria for Italian ice cream on the way back. I really feel like I am in Haiti. It looks very much the same. We got called "Mzungu" (white person) today many times. People yell it when we walk down the street. I wish I knew what else they were saying. I took a nice nap when we got back. I tried talking to Mom on skype but the internet connection is bad. I keep forgetting the time difference as well. I'm really missing people..

When I woke up I felt like a hippo had sat on me. I don't know how I got downstairs for dinner but I was really feeling the jet lag. Dinner was FABULOUS. One of the former vegitarians in our group said it was the best meat she's had. haha. Our cook is fantastic. We had Roast beef and real mashed potatoes, vegitables and her famous pumpkin cake. I could barely lift my fork but I had to keep eating because it was so delicious. Then people went to play volley ball and I unpacked. I feel a bit anti-social right now blogging instead of playing cards, but I really feel like I need a mental break. I'm a people person, but even I have my limit. :) I just want to go to bed!

1 comment:

  1. haha I remember being called Mzungu! They even sell T-shirts that say that on them. It's kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete