How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursday thoughts

Sometimes I think I am really meant to be a mother. Taking care of people comes naturally (and so does a little bit of nagging). Yesterday morning I checked to see how the guys were feeling and then made sure they had enough water to take with them into the field. Their response was "thanks, Mom". haha. I also just finished telling my boss, Pius, that he needs to eat his breakfast and maybe take a nap because he seems really tired. There's noting like a mom. Someone who thinks about our needs and reminds us to do things we were going to forget. We roll our eyes and say "I know, I know", but secretly we needed the reminder. Here's a shout out to my own mother. I love you Mom! Thanks for caring!

The women who live here have almost finished their counseling. They leave next Wednesday to go back to their villages and continue on with life. I don't want them to leave yet! It is going to be far too quiet around here. I love watching them carry their babies on their back- colorful fabric wrapped around the baby and tied across their chests. When I have my own kids, I want to carry them like that too.

Ryan and Tim went to a difficult counseling session yesterday. There was a man who had AIDS. The symptoms had caused him to be partially paralyzed, but his wife refuses to believe that he isn't just lazy. They have another lady (I think a sister) taking care of them and keeping the peace. She can't leave because the wife said she would let her husband starve or try to kill him so that she could be free of having to take care of him. Ryan and Tim said it was so hard to listen to all of this without crying. In so many cases we see people being extremely gracious and loving despite their poverty and pain, but in this case, it had really gotten this family down.

Talked to Dad last night. I miss him! He is buying my new brother's ticket to come from Haiti to the US. He will be coming when I am home to welcome him too! In 21 days I will be back in the USA. So many things are changing for me when I get back home. I can't wait for my family to get bigger!

At dinner, Cassie, Ryan and I spent half an hour talking about all of the food we miss from home. Rice and beans are getting old.. I like them but I don't have much of an appetite anymore. I eat for nourishment, not really for enjoyment. I also cant stomach meat anymore.. Can't wait to have a nice big SALAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment