How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Going Away Ceremony for the Ladies

I know I have written about this before, but the compound I live on is also the home to around 30 women and their children. The women come for a two month counseling program. All of them are victims of rape and gender based violence. They are the ones that had been identified as "at risk" because of suicidal thoughts. During the program they go through counseling, and learn skills like cooking and sewing that could help them start their own money making ventures. Today was their last day, and we had a closing ceremony.

The ceremony was supposed to start at 10am, but the guests of honor didn't arrive until 11. We all sat in one of the class rooms. True to custom, everyone introduced themselves. There were many speeches about the program and its impact. All of the guest of honor had also prepared speeches. Speeches lasted from 11-2. then the women performed a song and dance, and their children got up to recite some things they had learned. Then we had a cake cutting ceremony and all got a piece of the delicious cake that Consy had made and frosted. YUM!

At lunch we all ate with our hands. I know that is a cultural experience I should embrace, but if you know me, you know how much I dislike 1. germs 2. getting sticky food on my hands and 3. getting messy while eating. I even eat pizza with a fork and knife. I ate my millet bread and cabbage with my fingers, but when I got to my soupy rice with sauce, I snuck away to our guest house to use a fork to finish my meal. I hung out with some of the LEARN staff. They told me that tomorrow I am going with them to Palabek and they are going to teach me how to build a road! Sweet! They also told me they wished I would stay longer and work with them instead of going back to America. It was really cool to feel like they have accepted me here. I got a call from Cyrus, one of the guys, to make sure I liked turkey because that is what is being prepared for our lunch out in the field tomorrow. It was very sweet.

Then the ladies danced for us and performed a skit. Their children were so cute and would wander through the performance to dance next to their mothers. At 6pm, the ceremony was over. I hung out with some of the women and took pictures. There is one lady that is my favorite. She pulled me aside and asked if I could help her. I was already planning on giving her some of my clothes because she is my size. So I got a skirt and two shirts and gave them to her with a 5,000UGsh note. She was really grateful and kept hugging me and saying that she loved me. It really made me feel good inside. I really didn't give her very much, but her gratitude was overwhelming.

Now it's time for dinner and another Harry Potter movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment