How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Much Needed, Lovely Saturday

I'm not sure how much better a Saturday could get!

This morning I woke up to a gray and rainy sky. You have no idea how much I love it when it rains. It was so cool that I was actually able to wear my fleece sweater. Had a yummy breakfast of egg sandwiches and banana dipped in g-nut sauce. Consy had finished my skirt and dress. They are both really beautiful and I am so glad that I gave her the business instead of bringing the fabric home. Not to mention it was very inexpensive, though I tried to give her more than she would normally receive. I gave her three more pieces of fabric for some more dresses.

At 10:30, our new friend Summer came to pick us up. Summer is the wife of the pastor that preaches here on Sundays. The recently moved to Kitgum with their eleven children (two biological and nine adopted). Summer took us to an infant care center in Kitgum. Unfortunately, Cassie couldn't come with us, but Ryan, Tim and I had a wonderful time. The infant care center has about three rooms that are lined with beds. There is a small courtyard which is where we played with the kids.

When I first walked in, there was a toddler in a ragged and dirty shirt sitting in the dirt. I picked him up and held him for a few minutes. One of the ladies that was taking care of them took the baby from me to give him a bath, since he was a little bit on the filthy side. When he was clean, they put him in a pair of onesie PJs and set him back down. He waddled over to me and hugged my leg, so I picked him up and sat in a chair. When I sat down he immediately wrapped his tiny arms around my stomach and snuggled into my chest. Tears came to my eyes as I stared down at this beautiful and loving little baby that was breaking my heart just by holding me as tight as I was holding him. After snuggling with me for a few minutes, he sat up on my lap and started playing around. he was high-fiveing and fist-pounding me, and then giggling as I bounced him up and down in the air. I wanted to take him home with me so badly. Is twenty too young to have an adopted baby boy?

Somebody sat his twin brother down in the chair next to us. Summer came over and told me that only one of the twins had contracted HIV from the mother, because there is actually an 80% chance, that if the child isn't breast fed, they wont contract the disease. I almost cried again thinking of one twin having to lose his brother to HIV. I was sad that we had to leave and say goodbye to all of the darling children. I wish we had visited the place earlier on because I would have loved to make playing with the kids part of the routine.

We drove over to Summer and Zane's house. It's a cute little house with a yard and a trampoline for the kids to play on. The house was very nice and comfortable inside. Summer home schools all of her children, and they are sweethearts. We talked for a while and then had a nice lunch. I was amazed at how well behaved their children are. I really could see myself living a similar life. When I go to orphanages I can completely understand how somebody could end up with nine adopted kids. One of their newest children was from the home we visited today. He is about two years old, but the size of an infant because he was so malnourished. I am so glad that he is in a good home where he can grow and thrive. We brought cookies and Nutella to share as a dessert. It was a really enjoyable afternoon.

Now we are back at the house relaxing. I am hoping that it works out going to Gulu tomorrow. I want to stop by the One Mango Tree workshop. It's an organization created by a lady that my aunt and uncle know. The four of us are going to spend the day there. I hear it has some cool markets for shopping and a nice restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet. It was wonderful having you all over.

    Do not forget what the Lord showed you--and let it stir compassion in your heart for a life time.

    Love from the North,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete