How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday in Kitgum

I couldn't sleep last night. You know when you wake up in the middle of the night, and for some reason you just feel scared? Well the shadows of the curtains blowing in the wind were freaking me out and I was up half the night. At one point I was convinced that something was in the room. I am quite proud of my courage because I slowly reached for my flashlight and then whipped it out and flashed it around the room. Nothing was there. Didn't help me sleep...

We got up and had rice and beans for breakfast. (sensing a trend yet?) We joined the rest of the compound in a large rectangular gazebo for church. I love watching the Ugandans get really into the worship music. They were clapping and dancing around to songs I couldn't understand, but still appreciated. The sermon was about two hours long. It was good but I had a hard time staying awake with the heat, and the pauses for the translator to catch everyone up. The pastor is new to Kitgum. He is from Oregon, but has lived in Uganda for more than six years with his wife. They are both very young, but they have ten kids (8 adopted). We talked to them after the service and they invited us over for lunch next Saturday. The wife, Summer, is going to bring us to the orphanage in town to help out.

Cassie and I have been watching episodes of this great show called "Big Bang Theory". It's a great show. We ate rice, chipote, fried chicken and beans for lunch. I hand-washed all of my clothes which was pretty fun. Now I am in the office checking my emails. I snuck away so that I wouldn't have to be stressed for time, and have to share the internet cord. Now we are going to town with Concy and Betty.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your stuff. BTW, the Big Bang Theory is one of the best shows ever. Right next to Flash Forward. You can do it! I believe in you! Can't wait to hear what comes next. :D

    ReplyDelete