How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

4-14-10

Last Sunday morning I put on my nice black shoes and I walked outside. I felt something squirming in my shoe and I panicked. I jumped to the conclusion that I had a tarantula/scorpion in my shoe, and I screamed and quickly kicked it off. I was surprised, relieved and a little embarrassed about causing a scene when I saw a baby salamander run out instead.

: I am thankful to have been blessed with good health this entire semester (and pray that that continues through the month). One of my biggest fears is being sick, especially in a foreign environment, so I thank God for not giving me that challenge to face here. Poor Ryan was very sick on Monday morning; he had some kind of food poisoning and had been vomiting all night. We spent the morning caring for him and I went to the morning devotions meeting to excuse our absence and ask for prayers for Ryan. When the meeting was over, every person got in line to personally ask me about Ryan's sickness and express how sorry they were. The nurse and another supervisor came over to check on Ryan and asked the rest of us to continue observing him throughout the day in case we should need to go to the clinic. All day I had people inquiring about Ryan's health. It's really wonderful how much Ugandans seem to care about each other and their visitors. They make us feel more than cared for. When I first came to Africa I was confused with one of the responses we would get from Ugandans. In the case of any complaint, sadness, pain or illness, their response is always "I'm sorry!". We spent a good month telling people "Don't be sorry! It's not your fault!". I have come to really value this response. Instead of giving advice or trying to relate to the experience, the response shows that the person wants to support the other individual, and wishes they were not being challenged. Saying "I'm sorry" connects you to the person who is sad. I think the reason we don't often say this in the US is that we don't want to associate ourselves with the pain of others (which explains why we are quick to assure Ugandans that it is not their fault). That is one of the many things I appreciate about the Ugandans I have met; that they wish support each other in a way that I have not witness to the same degree in America.

I am sitting in the office. I have been filing piles of disorganized papers.. And by filing I mean figuring out how to group the papers, using a strange two holed hole-puncher, and then organizing them. It's nice to feel useful. I think later I will be going out to the field to do more market surveys. I was right - the info I gathered yesterday was not enough.. Now i will have to go back and fill in the gaps. Hopefully that will involve riding another motor bike.

It's another hot and sweaty day in Kitgum.. The clouds are such a tease, you think it's going to rain but it only sprinkles for five minutes and heats up again. How will the crops grow?? On a high note, Concy and Betty realized how much I love Stony's Ginger soda and bought half a case of it for us :) Had rice and beans for lunch. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment