How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Never go shopping after exchanging money

You've heard that it's bad to do your grocery shopping on an empty stomach.. We here's a new one - Never go to the Friday Market after exchanging money..

We slept in all morning. I got up at 11 and waited around until lunch. I had forgotten how slow the internet in Uganda was, so Skype isn't working. After lunch we got a ride to the Western Union down the street (Kate was on her way to get gas) and exchanged some money. Crossing the street was terrifying after getting to use crosswalks in Kigali. With full wallets, Brittney, Cassie and I walked up the street and found a private hire taxi that brought us to the Friday Market. Friday Market is set up at the train tracks outside of the city. There are a bunch of blankets set up on the ground with all sort of crafts, clothes, jewelry, baskets, carvings..etc. We went a little crazy with the shopping. How do you say no to people when they are so friendly and helpful? How do I not buy the beautiful green candlesticks when the nice lady notices that green is my favorite color and then shows me all of the items she has that match my green shirt and jacket? I saw a lot of things I wanted.. and I am a little bit ashamed to say that I bought most of them. But then, I know that I will be happy to have reminders of this amazing experience. I'm just a little bit worried about how I will get it all home. I think I will be leaving most of my clothes in Africa.. When the three of us decided we were finished we called the same driver to pick us up and take us home. It is so much easier to understand Ugandan accents after hearing Rwandan accents for a month.

Everyone had been to the market and we all brought out all of our purchases from the whole trip and laid them out on the floor to admire. It was like having our own little market in the living room. It is amazing how inexpensive everything is here. The paper bead necklaces are really cool, I paid about .50 cents for them here. I could easily sell them in the States for 5-10 dollars each.

After admiring our treasures, and coveting the things we wished we had bought, we went to Ciao-Caios for ice cream. I had hazelnut and pistachio, and it was heavenly. I love Ciao-Ciaos.. how will I live without it? :) Susan bought me a pair of sunglasses, because she broke my old pair. (Side story: back in Kigali, I watched Susan break my sunglasses, try to put them back together, look around and not see anyone watching, and then put them back where she found them. It was hilarious. It it was even more funny when I told her I had seen the whole thing.) I also bought some shampoo and conditioner for practicum.

We had a lovely dinner and then watched a movie. We all played frisbee, and then poker (which I was winning until I decided to stop playing). I called Mom with the 5,000UGsh of minutes that I had bought today. the call got cut off when I ran out of minutes. It was very frustrating. We watched a bootleg version of Alice in Wonderland. Now we are just hanging around relaxing before bed. Tim serenaded us with Kate's guitar for a while. It was really soothing and nice. Then he and Ryan made up a song about living in Uganda. It's really quiet here without the other half of the Go Ed family.


No comments:

Post a Comment