How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Cockroach Adventure

Last night I sat down with Ryan and Tim to watch the 3rd Harry Potter movie. We sat of the couch in their room and set the laptop up on a small table. For the first hour we kept swatting at our feet, because something was tickling against them and making them itchy. Then, all of a sudden, we heard a fluttering/hissing noise from the wall between Tim's head and mine. He and I looked and then jumped ten feet in the air when we saw a big cockroach scurry down the wall and go behind the couch. I was really grossed out thinking that that was what had been crawling all over our feet for an hour. Tim was very brave and kneeled on the couch so that he could look behind it with a flashlight. The cockroach jumped towards him and all three of us screamed and ran to the other side of the room. I wish somebody had taped the scene. For twenty minutes, the three of us who are in our twenties would creep near the couch, take a look, see nothing, shudder and then retreat. That disgusting creature hid its self well. Finally we decided to let the bug win. We moved to my room and sat squished on my bed for the rest of the movie. Needless to say I shook out all of my sheets and tucked my mosquito net it very tightly, just in case our little nemesis decided to strike again.


Today is Sunday. We got up and ready for church. (This time I knocked my shoes against the wall to make sure nothing was inside of them). Church was long and hot. I couldn't pay attention so I watched the babies in the room and flipped through my Bible. I miss my church where I don't have to hear the message a sentence at a time to wait for translations. I mean, the message was good, but it's so choppy that my attention span just can't handle it. We went back to our house for lunch. We talked about asked Betty and Consy to stop cooking us meat, because we haven't been finishing the quantities they make for us, and it has been going to waste. I have not been eating meat at all. I just can't anymore. But then Betty and Consy walked through the gate carrying two chickens with them; one alive, and one headless. So we decided not to say anything about the meat until we had eaten those two. I just don't really enjoy eating anymore. It's more of a "do this to survive" kind of thing. So I am fine with just rice and beans twice a day.

I heard a little bit about the volcano that is erupting in Iceland. What is with all of these natural disasters? I just really hope and pray that it will have all cleared up by 17 days from now when I am trying to get home. Otherwise, I am going to be really upset. "Did you hear that Mother Nature? Cut it out!" The volcano seems to be ruining the travel plans of many people I know. My friends who are studying in England are trying to come home this week, and my father and his friend are supposed to come to Africa to go hiking in Namibia. I just hope everything works out.

I think I will probably spend the rest of the day trying to type up these registration forms. I really would rather rest, and honestly, nobody would care if I didn't finish them until work on Monday. I just want to be able to get out of the office next week. Only 11 days until we leave Kitgum.

No comments:

Post a Comment