How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Hot.Tired.Stiff.Sore.Cranky.BEWARE!

I am hot, tired, stiff, sore and cranky!

Today was not as satisfying as it should have been. I accomplished quite a bit in comparison to the other students, and to what I have been doing the last couple days, but it still didn't seem like much. Pius told me I did a good job filing his papers the other day. That was nice to hear. I made an excel document for the health center to keep their medicine inventory in. I addressed envelopes and fied some correspondences for Pius. All day I had been waiting for a list of verified names for the Village Savings and Loans Association that I was to type up. I hept checking back to see if they had arrived, but they hadn't. During my lunch break I treated myself to watching Big Bang Theory while sitting on the cool concrete floor in my room and eating cookies dipped in the jar of Nutella I brought with me. I invited Betty and Concy to watch a movie with us anytime they want. I hope they take me up on that. I get a bit uncomfortable feeling like they are here to serve us, I would rather have a friendship with them.

Before going back to work, I talked with Tim, Ryan, Moses and Clarence. Probably the best part of my day was when I started speaking to Clarence in Acholi and he and Moses laughed at how much better I am at speaking it than Tim is. :) It was really funny seeing clarence double over with laughter talking about how bad Tim's pronouciation is. They invited me to go along with them to one of the sectors to see a drama group perform. I really wanted to go but I knew I had to wait for the paperwork to arrive so that I could get started. At 3:30, I finally got a stack of hand written forms to type up. By Monday, I should have at least 2,000 VSLA members to register. Even though I got a lot of them typed up, it wasn't a very exciting or fulfilling task... with 2,000 to do, it doesn't feel like I will ever be finished. I wish I had Cassie, Tim or Ryan's job. They spend the morning doing nothing and then get to go out to the field and talk to people. Doesn't see fair. But hey? Life isn't fair right? Should I even be allowed to complain? Probably not.

At 6:00 I decided to call it a day. Tim visited me in the office and we vented to each other about our days and about missing America, but at the same time not knowing what to expect when we go home. The four of us ate dinner together. Believe it or not it has actually been a while since the four of us were all together for a meal. I really am thankful fo rthe people that I was placed here with. We might get on each others' nerves, but we definitely have a lot of love for each other as well. We are about to watch the 2nd Harry Potter movie (we watched the 1st last night). It is our next movie series that we are going to watch in order. I am so happy it is the weekend. Seriously.... Thank God it's Friday. Tomorrow we are going to the orphanage in town with the pastor's family and then going to his place for lunch. I am psyched to get to hold some babies tomorrow. That will definitely put me in a better mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment