How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Frustration

I am going to preface this post by saying: Don't take this the wrong way. I am not a very political person. I am a member of the Independent party because I choose not to affiliate myself with the two main parties. I am voting for a person, not their party. I don't enjoy discussing politics, I think there is a big danger when politics become too important. I think we should be in this world, not of it. However, right now I am annoyed enough that I wanted to say something.

Just about every time I go on Facebook, I see some kind of status or group about hating Obama, his policies, the USA..etc. I think it is incredibly immature to use a social networking site to vent about one's hatred for their President. I don't care if you didn't vote for him. As a democratic nation, we have to be okay with the other party, that means the democracy works! Why can't we unite as a nation and be proud of our country? Why can't we at least be respectful of the man or woman in office instead of using our freedom of speech to degrade somebody who deserves respect? Together we stand, divided we fall.

Hey Americans! Let's gain some perspective. How about you try living in Africa under a military dictatorship? Then you might be begging to go back to the USA. From what I have heard, and what I have seen, I know that for myself, I would chose the democratically elected President of the United States over any of the many dictators and military leaders that are in power all around the world.

It's funny to me that I am all the way in Uganda and I am hearing about how much Americans are whining about the new healthcare proposal. After this time in Africa, I can't understand that kind of thinking. I would challenge people that loving their neighbors includes caring about their health. Here is Uganda, even in the very poorest villages, when somebody is sick, the family friends and neighbors all give gifts of money so that they can visit a doctor. They may even construct a stretcher out of tree branches and canvas to carry their neighbor on their backs to the nearest medical center. Can we, as truly rich American, really be so selfish that we wont give a bit more money so that our neighbors can get the health care they need? I think we need to re-examine our priorities.

Once again. This post is just a rant of some thoughts that have been building up over the past couple of months. They are not meant to offend, they are just what I am thinking. I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to politics, but since it's my blog, not a politics class, I feel I have a right to say what I want to say. I am so happy to have been born into a country that allows me freedom of speech. For those of you that disagree with what I am saying, I would like to paraphrase Voltaire : I may not agree with a word you say, but I will wholeheartedly defend your right to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment