How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saturday in Gitarama

Today we got up early and a group of us took a private taxi to Gitarama, the second largest city in Rwanda. It was up in the mountains. We went to the FH office there and met some nice FH workers there and heard about their projects. One of them was called the Azizi Project, which helps women start atisan groups that sell their crafts to FH, which sell them in other countries. We got to look in their store and buy some crafts for ourselves. I bought some cool things but I am really worried about being able to fit them in my bag on the way home.

Next we drove to see the FH water treatment plant. Nathan, who is 24, is managing the plant and all its employees. I think it is so cool to think that someone so young is managing something so important! The plant was pretty cool, but I was more excited about the children who came to see us. They were absolutely adorable. At first they were very shy, but then I said "hello" and "how are you" in Kinyarwandan and showed them the picture I took on my camera and they were a lot more social.

We took the FH staff out to lunch in town. To make it easy, with faster service, we all ordered the general plate of traditional African food. My meal and strawberry juice cost me 1,500FR which is $3USD. Not bad! We got in the van and were home by early afternoon.

I watched a weird movie called The Maiden Heist with Kate and Aryn, and then talked to the family on Skype. I bought more Skype credit, because after almost two months of calling home a couple times a week, I finally used up my $10. Not bad! After dinner we all gathered in the living room to watch The Office with the projector. I LOVE that show. So I am really glad Emily is willing to buy it on iTunes for us to watch. Then I played Rook and listened to music with Shelby, Janae, Susan, Tim and Ryan. It was a lot of fun. And now it is time for bed...I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment