How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Friday, March 5, 2010

"Lord you are good...

...and your mercies endureth forever" (that's the song going through my head right now)

God has been so good to me today.

We had classes at the house today. The first was very emotional, as we listened to our guest speaker recount his experiences of the genocide. It was so hard to hear him talk about his family being murdered, and almost more difficult to listen to his story of reconciliation and forgiving the people that killed them. (I will write a different post about that later when I have processed it more). In our second class we had a sort of debrief about everything so far. After class I watched a movie with Susan, Janae and Cassie. Then I called my aunt Amy's house to talk to my family. The whole family is in Colorado for my Opa's funeral today. When mom got on the phone I burst into tears. I wanted to be there with everyone so badly. It seems so wrong to miss the funeral of a grandparent. I also haven't seen the whole family together since Oma's funeral which was seven or more years ago. When I got off the phone I was sad and stressed about wanting to be home and feeling like Africa is unpredictable and what if I never see my family again? Sad and morbid thoughts, but there has been a lot of talk about death today with the guest speaker and the funeral.

The rest of the group had already gone out to eat. Cassie and I walked fifteen minutes down the road to join them at the restaurant. As soon as we sat down with everyone else and ordered drinks I knew something was wrong. My right eye started seeing colorful zig-zags and then my vision went blurry. I knew I was getting a migraine. Normally when I get migraines I could be in excruciating pain and stuck in bed for a day or two. We had ordered our food and Cassie offered that we could take it to go and get me back to the house. I was doing really bad. Getting nauseous and not able to open my eyes. Finally I told Cassie I couldn't wait any longer (it had been 45 min) so we left without eating and walked back. Cassie was really sweet and made up a story for me as we walked. I was a little nervous about how it was just two of us rich white mzungus walking down the street in the dark.

We made it back okay and I ran to the bathroom to throw up. Then Ida found me and said she could hear that I was sick and she made me some rice and yogurt to eat. I prayed to God that I knew he could take this head ache away if He wanted to so I really hoped he would. Then I fell asleep. When I woke up I felt fine! I have NEVER had a two hour migraine. It should have lasted all night and tomorrow but it's gone! God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment