How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Field Research week- Thursday

(copied from journal)
Thursday-
Dwight told Aryn last night that now he needs us to finish at least 100 interviews by the end of the week. So in the typical American fashion of doing the bare minimum, we figured out that we would only need to do five today and and five tomorrow to fill our quota. We decided to power through our interviews before lunch and then be done for the day.

Once again, I met some incredibly cute babies today, and I would adopt them all if I could. I wish I could give them all a bath, clean cloths, a pair of shoes and a good meal. Our interviews took us until 12:30 to complete. Tim reached into his pocket and pulled out a handful of g-nuts to eat. He didn't realize until he had started chewing that he had also picked up a liquid Advil that had been in his pocket. So his whole mouth went numb. It was funny.

We got back and I took four hour nap. In the afternoons I really just want to be alone and sleeping is a good way to escape how uncomfortable I feel and how hard it was to see the poverty. We had dinner. I feel bad that we get decent food and the students here have the same thing every single day. I felt sick from eating too much. Susan and I visited a room of girls. They were very sweet and asked us a lot of questions about the US. They keep asking when we will pay for them to come to America. My response is always "if you buy your ticket and come to America, you are welcome to stay with me". They had bought a pineapple in town and wanted to share it with us. It was the best tasting pineapple I have had (and we have only been eating starches potatos, beans and rice, so having fruit was awesome). Poor Susan doesn't like pineapple so I tried to eat most of it. It was pretty awkward when the girls told us that our lives have been so much easier than theirs. It is totally true, but how do you respond to that? "I'm sorry" ?

I typed up my interviews and then played cards with my friends. Went to bed early again

No comments:

Post a Comment