How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bags are packed

The last few days have been joyously relaxing. I have done a lot of napping and watching movies. There are more than a few things that I love about our Kigali house, but right now, I am just ecstatic to have a real toilet, showers and Aidah's cooking!!

We were going to leave Friday for Kampala, but Aryn went to buy our tickets and Friday was sold out so now we are leaving Thursday. We leave half of our group here for their internships. The half of us going to Kampala will be splitting up on Tuesday to go to our separate sites. Only one day left together. It's really sad. Time has flown by so quickly!

Today I went to Kimironko market with Susan to buy fabric. Riding public transportation is not my favorite thing to do. It requires a lot of squeezing in to a small space, and then getting out and rearranging every time somebody is let off. Kimironko was bustling with people. We headed towards the fabric section. I immediately saw some patterns that I liked and haggled the prices down. There is nothing more satisfying than walking away and then having the person pull you back and accept your price. I saw a really pretty pink tie-dye wrap with beads on the ends. I bought it, but then quickly felt buyers remorse as I saw the other colors of the same thing that other booths had. I asked a different shop keeper if I could trade my pink one for her blue one. All the women around burst into laughter and continued thinking it was hilarious for another ten minutes. Then one lady came up with a blue one and exchanged it with mine, so I did end up getting the color I wanted.

We came back for lunch and then did some packing. Why did I only bring a small duffel bag, shoulder bag, and a back pack? I can just barely fit my souvenirs from Rwanda in.. let alone the ones I left in Uganda, or the ones I plan on buying Friday at Friday Market. This is not good! He had dinner and then our last Owning Poverty session. We talked about our time together and our fears and expectations about practicum.

Tried to work on my paper that is due Wednesday at 10pm.. failed. better luck tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment