How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Adventure to buy fabric

After the genocide memorials I spent some time resting, but then four of us decided to get out of our sad mood by going shopping for fabric.

Cassie, Linda, Susan and I walked up the road to find a taxi into town. While I waited for Linda to get money at the back I sat outside on the curb. Some guy sitting in the back of the car started hissing at me and then when I looked over he winked at me. Weird.. When we got to the bus stop and said we wanted to go to "mumuji" (town), all the taxi drivers' assistants started fighting over us. I got pulled in towards one taxi but then my friends were entering another so I had to say no to the guy that claimed me to come with his taxi. We got on and rode to town. Five minutes before we got there, the assistant told everyone to pay 180RF for the ride. Everyone saw us pay, but the assistant started giving Susan a hard time and asking for more money. When we got off the taxi he followed us and started yelling at us in Kinyarwandan. We kept telling him that we already paid and he knew we paid. A big crowd gathered and everyone was being loud so we got intimidated and paid again. We were so mad.

Fuming, we walked down the street and found some fabric shops. Most of the patterns were kind of weird but I found two that I loved. I hope that I will be able to make some nice things from them. We all got a little grumpy so we decided to go home. Back at the house we told Vestine and Grace (our director who is visiting for the week) about being ripped off on the bus. They both felt bad and said that next time we should get the number of the bus so that we can humiliate them by writing it in the newspaper. Good thinking!

After dinner we had a long Owning Poverty. Everyone reflected on what we have been experiencing here. It was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment