How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays...are better than burning hot Mondays

Today was really hot. It made me want some New England winter weather to cool off. Can't I ever be satisfied? Don't answer that.

Class was at the office. We were hurried out the door at 8:40 to meet our bus. We got to the classroom at five till nine and stood around grumbling to ourselves about how it is stupid to leave so early when our professor doesn't come until 9;15 and the door is never unlocked for us to go inside. Our first class crawled by. Three hours is entirely too long. I'll never complain about my hour and fifteen minute classes ever again. Lunch was sandwiches again.

Context for Development was great. Dwight is an amazing guy. We talked about his theories about development. You can give a man a fish, but as we all know, that will only feed him for a day. However, giving him that fish is appropriate in situations where there is no access to resources or opportunity to get them. Teaching a man to fish is only as good as his access to a stocked body of water. The best way to achieve development is to get business donors to sponsor the purchase of fish to stock a community pond, and then teach them to fish. This is only successful if the community does not have restrictions on who is allowed to fish..

I mentioned that I am a business major while asking a question. Professor Dwight said something like "well I am looking to hire a business manager for such-and -such a project...". I know he wasn't offering me a job, but I freaked out a little bit inside. I am two years away from getting a real job. Will I be able to do it? If Dwight hired me, would I be at all qualified or confident enough in my abilities to do it? I think I would, but for some reason the statement stopped me in my tracks and I don't think I have ever felt so acutely how much I still have to learn.

We came home and its was unbearably hot so we crawled in bed and napped through the afternoon heat. I woke up before dinner when Emanuelie's wife came with the bags I had paid her to make for me. One is a purse, the other is an overnight bag that looks like an African version of a Vera Bradley bag. The difference being that mine is a million times cooler because it was made in Africa, for $20 instead of $200, and I am supporting Emanuelie and his wife. Now I have more bags to carry things in!

After dinner we got out the cards and started playing (a nightly ritual in our house). I just learned Dutch Blitz, and I LOVE it. Cards have become our main source of entertainment and bonding. We get really heated over card games.. and I am sorry to say that cards (and crossing the street) are the reason I have started swearing. I'm sorry!! I swear I will clean up my language when I come home!!

Cassie and Ryan made the most wonderful brownies ever tonight. We have started a brownie fund for raising money to buy the chocolate. Rwanda is pretty expensive. Get me back to Uganda where I can buy gelato for 50cents!!

No comments:

Post a Comment