How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gacaca Courts visit

Today we went to watch a trial in the Gacaca Courts. The Gacaca courts are traditional community courts that were formed because the national courts could not handle the thousands of cases that needed to be tried. Without creating community courts, it would have taken more than 100 years to try every person who was involved in the genocide. Each community elects a number of trustworthy, fair and honorable judges that will hear each case and give a punishment.

We all crowded into the private taxi at 9am to leave. Fortunately, it broke down at our gate and the called a bigger bus to take us. We drove for two hours up into the mountains. The absolute best part of any bus ride we go on is seeing children. I love it when their faces light up at seeing white people and they run after us yelling "Mzungu! Mzungu!". I know I sound riddiculous, but I am truthful enough to admit that it's a self esteem boost to be a celebrity everywhere we go. I'll be sad when I go back to the States and peoples faces don't light up when I walk down the street. Haha. I spent a good hours with my head out the window waving at all the kids who were jumping up and down with huge smiles on their faces.

We got to the court room at about 11:30. They found the key to unlock the padlock to the squatty potty for us. I don't know why, but Vestine is always surprised by how often we use the toilet. Then we sat down in the small court room facing the table with five women judges. There were three men on trial. Two of them were wearing the pick outfit of someone who had been in jail. I think it is funny that they are forced to wear pink. The trials seemed to take forever. Pastor Anastase would translate what was going on and we would pass it down the line, telephone style. The person on trial would speak, and then any witnesses from the community would stand up and give their own input. It was very strange being in the same room with three men who were murderers. These men openly admitted to chasing down children and killing them, raping women, killing in churches...etc. Looking at them you would never think they were capable of such acts. But then, most of the perpetrators in the genocide were just average people.

We sat on those benches for four hours in the heat. I am embarrassed to say that I fell asleep, and I was sitting in the front row. I really couldn't help it. It was so hot and I didn't sleep well last night. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I do feel bad that the whole room was watching me nod off. (Though honestly, they were probably a lot more concerned with the trial, not me).

Our bus ride home was great because the driver blasted really fun music. He laughed at us singing along to the Backstreet Boys. :D We got home way later than expected. I was sad that we missed Dwight's class. It was 4:30 when we got to the gate. We mobbed the kitchen until Ida agreed to heat up the lunch we had missed. Chipote and beans with pili-pili hot sauce is my favorite lunch!

On a separate note - Ever since I got to Africa I have noticed my hair thinning out. I lose a lot of hair just by brushing it. I am wondering if it is my diet or something else? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment