How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Only one wife!

Okay it has been a few days since my last post. I have been feeling a bit lethargic and not inspired to write, so I am forcing myself right now. It feels like so much happened this weekend.

Sunday -
Ryan, Linda, Nathan and I walked to Christian Life Assemblies. This is the church we visited last Sunday, home of the cell group (Bible study) that we went to Wednesday. When we walked in it was clear that it wasn't a normal Sunday service. The pews were labeled based on neighborhood in Kigali. We sat down in the Remera neighborhood, and sat with the other people from the small group. We all sung some worship songs, and then we split off into groups to meet our neighbors and get people to want to join a cell group.

Here's where I explain the blog's title. There is a joke in Rwanda that we hear almost every day. Apparently it is quite funny. Whenever somebody introduces themselves they say a variation of the following:
"Hello my name is ________. I have 4 kids and ..(awkward pause)... only one wife! hahaha".
Our guest speakers in class, our professors, even the people speaking to us in church yesterday said it! I guess it is the funniest joke ever.. it always brings a good laugh to the Rwandans present.

After church we had our night guard, Emanuelie, take us into town with his taxi service. We went to the Hospital to help out with Project Smile, which does operations on cleft lips. Unfortunately, we got there when they had finished for the day and didn't need our help. We said we would try to come back Thursday. So we went home.

We set up the projector in our bedroom and watched The Proposal on one of our walls. There were subtitles at the bottom that were very funny. It looked like someone had translated to Chinese and then back to English.


Today:

We went to class at the FH office. Our guest speaker in the morning was from the community courts system and told us all about the justice for perpetrators of the genocide. It is very hard to stay awake. African men seem to be very soft spoken, and their voices are very soothing. Our second class is a lot easier to be awake in. Dr. Dwight talked to us about research methods for when we go out into the fields in two weeks to do a week long data collection. We will be researching the Rwandan family. Should be awesome.

We came home and vegged all day. I have been way too tired lately. Not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment