How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Monday, February 1, 2010

God is GOOD! another wonderful day

All the prayers were answered! Nobody got food poisoning! Thank you Jesus!

Today was great. We had the most wonderful "practical" lecture in our morning class. Dr. Mpagi brought his wife and daughter to help him explain some customs and traditional things we should know about the Baganda (Ugandan people). First, Tim and Susan modeled some traditional clothing that was pretty cool. The Bagandan people used to make their cloth out of the bark of trees pounded into a thin fabric-like sheet. We watched his wife demonstrate how to make amatooke (boiled bland bananas) the traditional way. We learned the uses of banana leaves and got a gift of roasted coffee beans to chew on.. I had a few and they were interesting. I got some pictures taken of me balancing a basket on my head with a gourd "baby" tied to my back in the traditional way. We learned a really fun children's song in Lugandan that we sang and each person had to dance. I make a total fool of myself by tripping but it was funny so we all got a good laugh. It was such a good lecture.

We played Kemp - a really awesome card game- at lunch. Today we packed lunches so we had a wonderful 2 hour break to relax, play and laugh. Our second class was very slow and I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could get some ice cream on my way back to the house. The heat got to us again and we were all in a bit of a frustrated mood when we got to Ciao-Ciaos for ice cream. we got in line and got cut by TWO Ugandans. My poor friend was about to tell someone off but she cooled off when she finally got her heavenly gelatto. We came home and ate the most wonderful rice with Lamb stew on top ever, and there was pumpkin cake.

Our Owning Poverty discussion was good tonight. Well actually most of it was pretty silly and we did a lot of laughing and joking around. But then we talked about priorities. We did a quiz and I found out that my top three priorities are 1. Intimate Friendships 2. Physical Touch and 3. Health...No surprises there at all. We also wrote down some goals for the time here.

Now it is homework time..

No comments:

Post a Comment