How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Practicum Fair and Long Naps

Last night I needed to have an American moment.. so I stayed up till 2:30am watching a movie in bed. It was really nice and worth it. I was woken up around 10am by Linda coming into our room looking for somebody. So I got up and tried reading a little bit of the next book on our list, Nervous Conditions.

We went to Ciao-ciao's for lunch and had rice and samosas. I was the only one who enjoyed her food. Oh our way we had passed these two cute Italian guys that we always see when we walk home from school. They passed us going the opposite way and waved. One of them said "Mzungus! How are you?". Susan retorted with "You're Mzungus too!" and we laughed and kept walking. They must not have had anything better to do because they ended up turning around and sitting near us in Ciao-Ciaos. They got up and we waved at them. It's too bad we never got a chance to meet them and we leave in a few days. I always wonder what other Mzungus are doing here.

I laid down on my bed to read at 12:30. I finished about one chapter and then fell asleep. The Ugandan warm afternoon was too overpowering, I couldn't stay awake. I woke up around 4pm and was frustrated that I hadn't gotten anything done.

At four we had our "Practicum Fair" which was us sitting at the dining room table hearing our options so we can choose our top three. There are four different sites to chose from. My favorite site is in Kitgum which is way up in Northern Uganda. There is room for six of us which I like the idea of because I would love to stay with the group and not feel isolated. The three jobs there are 1. to help pass out seeds, teach about using resources and saving money,, 2. to work with HIV education and prevention, 3. To work with women who have dealt with rape and war helping them heal and forgive. There are many other choices, and I really don't know what to do.

After dinner we had Owning Poverty and talked about being rich. We all expressed that in Uganda it is so hard not to feel filthy rich. Our reactions range from feeling guilty,and sad, to angry and frustrated. It was a brief discussion since all of us have a lot to do tonight. I should really get on that reading.. It looks like another long night ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment