How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Farewell Uganda!

Went to bed around 3:30am.. I am on such a horrible sleeping schedule.

I got up at 9 and wrote the paper that was today. Then I continued preparation for our presentations. It poured rain all morning and afternoon, and it was actually cold in the house. The upstairs was converted into a home theater, with all the couches facing a blank wall for the presentations to be projected on. Our teachers came for lunch with some other special guests. Dr. Susan brought her friend who is a nun, and also head of the Literature dept. at Mekerere University in Kampala. She had created a documentary about circumcision to show us. We had lunch and then headed upstairs.

Our presentations went well. I think my group did a great job. Poor Emily was up all night editing the footage for the movie we made. It turned out pretty cool. Then we watched the long documentary on tribal circumcisions and discussed it.

When our presentations were over, we all breathed a sigh of relief and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing. We had chicken-fried steak for dinner (my southern friends found it interesting that the first time I had chicken-fried steak was in Uganda). I was a little bit disappointed when we didn't have pumpkin cake for dessert on our last night, but the lemon bars were yummy.

I did my best to start packing but then we decided to go get ice cream at Ciao-ciaos for the last time. As we walked over, we saw the "Italian boys" again. Susan yelled to the cute, tall one that it was our last night. He came over to talk to us but he couldn't speak english so he called his friend over to talk to interpret. We found out that they are actually from Turkey. they are also students, studying at a local college. Not sure how we mixed Italian and Turkish up, but I guess I am no judge of accents. They asked if we were high schoolers. Jeez! I get that everywhere I go! Do I really look that young? I am twenty now. haha. We said goodbye to them. It is too bad that we didn't talk to them earlier, we saw them almost every day but never had the courage to say hi. For some reason it seems like other Mzungus are harder to approach than the Ugandans.

Ice Cream was good. I finally got the sample of kiwi gelatto that i had been meaning to try. I got a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of hazelnut. My favorite. It is sad that we wont have our 50cent ice cream every day in Rwanda. What am I going to do without my desserts?

We came back and packed some more. I wish Mom was here to pack it nicely for me so that everything would fit. Right now I have to leave things here because I can't get them in my bag. I will pick them up when we come back for practicum. I have been skyping and using my computer, so I haven't really focused on packing, even though all of my roommates are in bed. I listened to a wonderful interview of my friend Keziah who lives in Haiti, who we met at the orphanage down there.
http://www.magic1067.com/on-demand/Episodes.aspx check it out, it is really inspiring. I teared up a little. There was another aftershock, so I am praying for their safety. But now I need to go to bed.

This week's schedule:
Tomorrow- breakfast at 7:30, leave at 9am. Drive 7 hours to Queen Elizabeth game park
Wed & Thurs- Safari adventures!!
Friday- a very very long drive to Rwanda

Love you all so very much. Thanks for reading! Pray for our safety and that we will see some cool animals!

1 comment: