How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Turning Twenty- My Birthday in Uganda!

Happy Birthday to me!! Today is my twentieth birthday. How many people get to say that they turned twenty in Africa?

I had a hard time sleeping last night so I went to the kitchen and washed the dishes that had accumulated after dinner. Then I laid in bed for a while and watched the "happy birthday" comments accumulate on my Facebook page. Lame...but I couldn't sleep.

I got up at 8:45 for church. Patrick (our driver and dear friend from the rural visit), picked us up at 10:30. Initially it was just going to be Morgan, Ryan and I, but our group grew to nine! We were driven down the road to Faith's mom's church. Momma (Faith's mother), had started this church for Congolese and Rwandese refugees in the area. The building was made out of sheets of tin nailed to wooden posts. The kids had their own section of little plastic chairs, and they were adorable. I'm not sure why, but we were separated into pairs and given seats that were dispersed around the church. The children sang and danced for us, then the adult choir sang. The entire congregation got up and danced together; one big congo line. I held two children on my lap during the service. The pastor spoke in Swahili, but another man interpreted into English, sentence by sentence. I also had Momma next to me given a better translation. I think the message was about spiritual warfare... It was a lot of excitement and yelling. Momma told me that the people at her village were very disappointed when we didn't come again the following weekend. I hope we get a chance to visit again. Two hours into the service Momma asked me if we were ready to leave. She said the service could go all day. I made the executive decision that we should go. Outside, Momma hugged everyone and told us all how welcome we are to her home. She is an incredible woman.

Patrick dropped us off at Garden City. My friends took Nathan and I out to Cafe Javas. Nathan's birthday is tomorrow so it was a nice little double celebration. I had a delicious BBQ Burger and a Mirinda Pineapple. The air conditioning was heavenly. I found us a private hire taxi (seems to be my new talent). We fit eight people into the Subaru. Three people sat in the open trunk. It was really fun. Ended up costing about 50cents each. Money well spent. I can't believe that we have been in Uganda for five weeks. Last time we were at Cafe Java it was the our first week here and we didn't know what to expect. Now we are about to pack up and go to Rwanda.

We came back and worked on our Oral Literature Presentation. We decided to make a movie of our collection of Oral Literature. Included is us acting out one of the stories. I got to be the leopard in it. It was fun dressing up and making whiskers and ears. Then Linda and Brittany made us a wonderful dinner of breaded chicken and salad with honey mustard sauce. The girls made me a Funfetti Cake and everyone sang to me!!! I was so excited! I have been craving funfetti lately.. My new friends are so amazing! I love them.

Now we are stressing and frantically working to get everything done for tomorrow. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment