How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Last Saturday in Kampala

The rain was incredible last night. I was up all night listening to it. When it rains, it pours; hard and loud. I got up around 10am and relaxed with my friends. We weren't able to visit the street boys today. We looked through the options for practicum, but I really don't know what to do so I didn't choose my top three yet.

We went to Bejing Chinese for lunch. Halfway through eating I noticed that that chicken wasn't cooked all the way. What the heck! I seem to have bad luck with chicken in this country. I called over the waiter. This was the exchange:
"I think this chicken is not cooked"
"Yes this is chicken"
"I know this is chicken, but it is not cooked"
"Yes. The chicken was cooked"
"Okay" (as he walks away)

We went to Ciao-Ciao's for ice cream. I paid them for the one I accidentally forgot to pay for the other day. Now I don't have to feel guilty anymore. :D

I watched The Time Traveler's Wife, which was good, but sad. I laid in my bed weeping over a movie...pathetic. Then I tried really hard to talk with mom on Skype, but the internet was really weak today so I couldn't. I was really frustrated because all I wanted was to talk to someone from home. I think if I could have any wish for my birthday it would be to have a day with my family and friends in the US. It's time's like right now that I really feel the half a world between me and home.

Dinner was chicken curry. SO GOOD. Then Emily and I washed the dishes. My roommates are also my group for our Oral Literature presentation, so we talked about what we are going to do for it.. But there wasn't much that we could do tonight, so we were soon distracted.

Cassie had downloaded the Princess and the Frog (the new Disney movie). It was really really good. I loved it. Susan, Emily and Shelby ran out and midnight to give me hugs and say Happy Birthday! It was really nice to be surrounded by new, amazing friends on my birthday.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM TWENTY!! So long, teenage years!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday. I havent watched Time Travelers Wife yet, but the book is fantastic, and pretty much a super important part of what caused my girlfriend and I to first get together. Read it when you can, I've heard they are not close to the same story.

    Sounds like you are having a great time out there- ups and downs included. Yes. The chicken was cooked.

    ReplyDelete