How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Taking an American Moment of Laziness

Stayed up till 2:30 am again doing homework. Luckily there was no morning class so I slept in until 10 and hung out until lunch. Since it was our last day of class and it was scorching hot, we decided to take a matatu up the hill. It was completely and utterly satisfying to get to class not drenched in sweat. We discussed our last book and were done at 3:30. My sunburn from a few weekends ago is peeling. I got a really bad one on my leg and my skin turned brown with little bubbles. Today it started peeling and it is like having a layer of leather as skin. It is really gross, but very satisfying to scratch off. :)

After class we hired a private taxi to take us to Friday Market. We really didn't want to walk 45 minutes in the heat to get there. Six of us piled into the small car, something that would be completely illegal in the USA. I was really annoyed with myself for only bringing 15,000UGsh to the market. It was quickly spent and then I kept seeing things I wanted to buy and couldn't afford to get them. People would call to me from behind their merchandise and roll their eyes in disbelief when I told them I was out of money. To them it is not possible for a white person to really be out of money.. Though I was, temporarily...I looked at my watch as we started walking back and it was already ten minutes past dinner time. I was not happy about being late for dinner. We couldn't find a taxi anywhere, but we didn't want to walk.

Susan, Shelby and I lagged behind the others so that we could vent our frustration about walking back and being hungry. Don't sit there judging us. Sometimes you just don't want to walk when its scorching hot and you are hungry. Cute, Italian boy from yesterday waved at us from the back of a motorcycle and we thought he was going to get off and walk with us, but he didn't. That would have made it a lot more interesting. The three of us stopped for a nice soda at a small shop. I got Lemon Fanta.

I looked down and saw Shelby's foot. It had poop on it. Susan and I spent a good fifteen minutes laughing so hard we cried while we watched Shelby freak out about the poop on her leg. Shelby makes the cutest faces when she is upset. Poor girl :) We felt bad but it was really very funny!

We really didn't want to walk, and we all had to go to the bathroom so I stood on the side of the road and waved at the cars going by trying to flag down a private hire taxi. People who were stuck in traffic laughed at me goodnaturedly. Finally a guy turned around and picked us up. His name was Ronald and he was really nice. He took us back to the house and we only paid 10,000UGsh which was totally money well spent!

We all just laid out all of our loot on the floor that we bought while in Uganda and admired everyone's purchases. It was a lot of fun. Here are some pictures of me and all my beads!


Now we will relax and try to figure out our practicum stuff and maybe do our homework. I am looking forward to this weekend. Tomorrow we are going to see the street boys again. Sunday is my birthday and I will be going to church with Faith and her mom (from rural visit) and then my friends are taking me out to eat at Cafe Java!

Another note about my sunburn. I sweated today and there are little bubbles that formed on my leg that make a crackling noise when I pop them.. so cool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment