How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Unexpected Good Health

I am a bit of a hypochondriac. I have been so paranoid this entire trip that I would get sick. I was very careful about washing my hands and not contaminating my toothbrush, among other things. Everyone made fun of me for being so careful, but it was worth it.

We spent the morning in Dr. Stockley's office. We dropped off our stool samples and then waited to get called back into the lab. When it was my turn, the nurse asked me a few questions and said that since I was in the Nile and Lake Kivu, I need to get tested for Bilharzia. They pricked my finger instead of drawing blood, which only made me mildly queasy. Everyone got their results before I did. Most people had yeast infections. One person had Bilharzia, and another had an amoeba. I was certain that they were saving my diagnosis for last because it was the worst. When I got called back, the nurse smiled at me and said "You are a lucky one, no infections, Billarzia or amoebas. You are healthy!" You have no idea how relieved I was. It meant i only had to pay 30,000UGsh (15 dollars), which is just about all that I had left.

Guess my paranoia paid off (literally).

We got dropped off at Cafe Roma and had some wonderful Tropical Pizza (Hawaiian). On the way back, Brittney and I saw a matatu and rode it down the hill instead of walking. Lame? maybe. But I don't feel the need to be drenched in sweat all the time, thank you very much.

I just put the finishing touches on my final paper and proof read my journal entries. In an hour we will give our practicum presentations for Grace Kibuye, Michael Pucci and Kate. They should be pretty informal since they aren't being graded. Now I have no more school work until the fall! I cannot believe the semester is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment