How then shall we live?

As a Christian, how should I be living my life? I have to ask myself this question sometimes. In the middle of this crazy, fast paced world that we are living in, I still want my answer to remain the same - my life should be lived for God and for others. This semester I will be studying in Rwanda and Uganda, and doing mission work with Food for the Hungry. These next few months I want to make a drastic change in my life by living not for myself, but for others. Through my studies and my interactions I hope to find a new and better understanding of what it means to be a child of God. I want to leave with no question in my mind that there is so much more to my life than my own happiness. I want to make my Creator proud, by loving his children.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Debriefing Sessions #2 & #3

Today we did two debriefing session. The first one was at ten.. I woke up to Kate yelling "it's time for debriefing!!" (I knew I should have checked the board last night to see the schedule).

Session #2 of debriefing was about Transformation.
We talked about what kinds of transformations we have been through this semester. We are all shaped by our experiences.

We all shared what our most beautiful moment was.
Mine: At the infant care center, I walked in and picked a very dirty toddler up off the ground. One of the ladies that worked there ran over and took him from to give him a bath before I held him any longer. After getting a bath and a clean pair of pajamas, the little boy was set back on the ground. He ran over to me and latched onto my leg. When I picked him up and sat down to hold him, the little boy wrapped his arms as far around my waist as he could and hugged me. He was holding me as much as I was holding him.

We shared moments where we knew that God was there, loving his children.
Mine: It is such a God thing that babies have an 80% chance of not getting HIV from their HIV positive mothers if they aren't breast fed. God's looking out for his little ones. That little boy I held... his mother died of AIDs, but he didn't get it from her.

We talked about how all of us came to Africa with preconceived ideas about poverty and how to fix it. But we are leaving Africa very confused. The more you learn, the less you fully understand.

I want to live a transformed life when I get back. That will mean pushing back against the culture that will try to force me into sliding back into my old life.


Session #3 - What to expect when we go home. Here are a few things we discussed

If we go home and communicate with people for the sole purpose of being understood, we will be disappointed. We need to realize the other person's perspective and just work on having an open relationship with communication on both sides.

Symptoms of reverse culture shock:
1. Loss of appetite. - indicating inner discomfort
2. Displays of emotions that don't make sense in the context- like bursts of anger or sadness
3. Making comparisons between cultures and being quick to pick out negatives
4. Alienation- feeling like people don't care and wont understand.
We have to remember that the people who care about us realize how important this has been for us, but they may not be able to take it in.

America culture is like pre-chewed food. What we had here has been raw and authentic.

We are not saints for coming to Africa. If we can do it, you can too!


We hung out, ate yummy food and I watched some more Big Bang Theory. I tried to sit out in the sun and get some more color (since I have a farmers tan), but I lost interest and went back inside. Cassie and I watched "The Fall" together. It was an interesting movie, and I liked it. It was also good to spend some time with Cassie since practicum made her into a kind of sister for me.

We got into a really intense game of Mafia. This group loves mysteries. Our group playing Mafia is more fun than watching TV. We are all accusing each other and using a mix of logic, truth and gut feelings to figure out who the murderers are. I have never like that game until now. It is addicting when you play with such passionate arguers. Man I will miss these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment